Senior Backend Software Developer
Caredove is a health care software platform for connecting patients with home care and community services. We want to bring a consumer-oriented approach where our users love what we build. With our software we have helped over four hundred thousand patients access health care in Canada, from newborns needing health screening to seniors accessing home care. We have only scratched the surface of what we can do.
The company is based in Orillia, Ontario. However, most of our team of ~20 people work remotely, most of the time. You can too if that is best for you.
The Senior Backend Software Developer at Caredove builds the backend components & APIs for new modules & improvements to the Caredove platform. This role also researches different solution approaches, builds technical plans and collaborates with a team before beginning coding on ambitious new features.
We are transitioning towards a modern modular architecture, by rebuilding modules from scratch and integrating them with our existing platform. We have some major projects starting now, so you will be involved in the full development lifecycle of these projects from planning to deployment. You work closely with a multidisciplinary team composed of a project manager, developers, devops, UX designer, and QA, using modern technologies and frameworks.
Our backend stack is Laravel/PHP, Django/Python, PostgreSQL. Our API stack is Java & Node.js. Our infrastructure is AWS. Our development process is based on agile, supported with Jira/Confluence and Gitlab.
Our frontend stack is REACT.
This role will focus on using our backend stack, in particular Laravel/PHP, PostgreSQL and Java. There is a lot of work to do, so you will never get bored.
We want to create a work environment that encourages positivity, celebrates progress, supports teamwork and enables autonomy, while actively removing ways of working that may discourage our staff. This role is a key contributor to this culture in the technical team.
In this role, you will:
- Develop the Caredove platform backend infrastructure with clean and maintainable code.
- Contribute to high level architecture planning, consulting with our internal team on approach, supporting more junior developers
- Help optimize the infrastructure for better scalability
- Contribute to application development activities outside of app code, including database modelling, query optimization, and other advanced requirements to ensure high performance
- Play a key role in the development of our internal API infrastructure
- Contribute to the development of our public HL7 FHIR API
- Collaborate with front end developers on module and feature deployment initiatives
- Stay up to date on latest development technologies and methodologies
- Help eradicate technical debt to provide a great developer experience
You will be a great fit for this position if you:
- Have 5+ years of professional experience in a software development role
- Deep understanding and experience with PHP and an MVC framework, Laravel is highly preferred
- Have proven experience in agile methodologies in software development
- Provide positive energy to encourage other team members to perform at their best
- Can understand and contribute to technical architecture
- Have strong communication skills
- Enjoy a fast paced environment
- Love what you do and are hungry to learn new skills
- Are highly motivated and conscientious
Bonus Points for:
- Speaking and writing French
- Health sector experience
Why Join Caredove:
We are a small but growing team, and our roles and responsibilities are still a little bit fluid depending on the pressures of the day. We hold each other up, we make tough decisions together, we brainstorm regularly, we value “team” over “ego”, we give and take constructive criticism, we celebrate success, we get it done, we mentor, we wear hoodies AND suits. We avoid report writing, long emails, and using business jargon. We try to live healthy lives.